While there are many housekeeping products that can make our lives easier, there are also some that are not worth the investment. These tools and chemicals may be marketed as must-haves, but they often fail to deliver on their promises and end up collecting dust in the back of our closets.
Whether you handle all of your chores on your own or rely on professional maid services in Baton Rouge, LA, knowing which cleaning supplies NOT to buy can save you a lot of money and storage space in the long run. Read on to learn about the top 8 products you almost certainly don’t need!
What cleaning products to avoid?
These eight housekeeping products we discuss below are often marketed as being extremely useful and even fun to use but tend to be anything but in practice. Instead, consider using natural and environmentally-friendly supplies, and invest in high-quality, reusable tools that will last for years to come.
In the meantime, avoid using these 8 product types:
- Single-Use Cleaning Wipes may seem convenient, but they are not eco-friendly and can be expensive in the long run. They also often leave a sticky residue and can be less effective than traditional cleaning methods.
- Oven Cleaning Sprays are marketed as a quick and easy solution for cleaning your oven, but they can be harsh and leave behind a strong chemical smell. They can also be messy and ineffective. Instead, consider using baking soda and vinegar, which are both much more environmentally friendly and effective.
- Disposable Dust Mops are a waste of money and are bad for the planet. They are often less effective than traditional mops and can’t be reused, meaning you’ll have to constantly replace them.
- Furniture Polish may make your furniture shine, but it can also attract dust and make your furniture slippery. It’s better to simply dust and wipe down your furniture regularly.
- Magic Erasers are marketed as an all-purpose cleaning solution, but they are often too harsh for delicate surfaces and can leave behind small particles that can scratch your furniture. Instead, consider using a soft cloth or a mild soap and water solution.
- Carpet Cleaning Machines may seem like a convenient way to automate your carpet cleaning, but they can often leave carpets damp and attract mold. They are also often less effective than professional carpet cleaning services.
- Air Fresheners may make your home smell nice, but they often contain harsh chemicals that can irritate your skin and lungs. Additionally, they don’t actually clean the air, they simply mask unpleasant odors. Instead, consider using natural air fresheners like essential oils, plants, or opening windows to let fresh air in.
- Drain Cleaners are said to be a quick and easy way to unclog your drains, but they can be abrasive and damaging to your pipes. They can also be toxic and can cause harm if not handled properly. Use a plunger, baking soda, and vinegar, or a plumber’s snake instead.
Where can I book highly-rated maid services in Baton Rouge, LA?
Not even the best cleaning tools can help you keep your place tidy and hygienic if you simply don’t have the time or energy to use them. Luckily, you’re not alone! Geaux Maids of Baton Rouge is a long-standing provider of residential cleaning services that can help you deal with your chores quickly and effectively.
Our team of knowledgeable and dedicated experts will gladly give you the gift of a spotless home while you deal with your other responsibilities or enjoy your newfound free time at the Baton Rouge Zoo. Reach out to us today!